This small, easy to use digital video camera records remarkably good footage and comes with built-in software, making it simple to edit and upload your video to YouTube. DDI is offering 3 different types of Flip video cameras:
- Flip Ultra: Standard Definition, up to 1 hour recording time
- Flip Mino HD: High Definition, up to 1 hour recording
- Flip Slide HD: High Definition, up to 4 hours recording time
Loaner Flip video cameras are available on a first-come, first-served basis to Duke faculty and students. You may drop by the Link during full-time services hours to request a loan.
- Gather interview footage and upload to common course space for review and reflection.
- Use as mobile digital diary devices – recording your reflections and observations.
- Take advantage of the light weight of the device, and use in ‘the field’ to capture local footage (wildlife, social interactions, architecture, etc).
- Implement a variation on the traditional ’5 minute paper’ idea: create an articulate response to an issue in under 90 seconds, and then upload to a Flickr space and share.
- Record small segments of course group activities. Small groups in a class can to go to break-out spaces and work on a solution to a problem, and one person can be the ‘recorder’ – in charge of documenting and uploading the results.
- Upload short video pieces to blogs or other websites when traveling abroad or on service learning programs.
- Document various experiments in labs or ‘in the field’.
- Record pieces of lectures or events and revisit for critique and commentary.
- Record musical performances or document visits to museums (establishment permitting) and record video annotations, using a tool like VoiceThread or Viddler.
Before recording others, make sure you have the appropriate permission and releases! See below for more resources on permissions.